Thanksgiving Thoughts by Kristin Hand


The Bible seems very specific that we’re supposed to be thankful, period. No qualifiers needed. Paul says in 1 Thessalonians 5:15 “give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus” which seems to say that gratitude should be a way of life. That doesn’t make it easy. I have a hard time with the holidays because the number of people around the table in my family has been shrinking. This is, of course, normal as people get older and pass away. In my family, however, we’ve lost four members of the same side between November 17 and December 7 - right in the prime of the holiday season. Add the sense of loss to my introversion and everything compounds. I love my family - in-laws and all. My family is large with a full gathering being between 10-20 people in the same place at any given time. It’s the appropriate level of noise for that size of gathering, which as I get older, is becoming too loud. And it’s draining. There’s the expectation that you’re not going to sit in a corner and read (although I do try) while everyone else is laughing and sharing memories. So I do, knowing that it will take days afterwards to recover. Do you know what though? I wouldn’t trade it. Do I miss the family no longer at the table? Absolutely. Do I wish the family time was quieter? Usually. Would I rather be sitting at home with just my little family? Not at all. We did that last year, and it just wasn’t the same. This Thanksgiving has already thrown us a curve, which we’ve managed to handle, and we’re on to Plan B. I’m grateful for options, because I realize that not everyone has the luxury to visit with the other side of the family if one side isn’t available. I’m also grateful for the memories of past Thanksgivings with loved ones who are celebrating the holidays in Heaven. I’m even grateful for the noise, because one day, the silence may be deafening. So even though it’s hard, I’ll be having a grateful Thanksgiving this year.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mom's Apple Pies by Kendra McEvoy